October 13, 1945 is given as the official birth date of Christ the King Parish. In the 1940’s, Bishop Gerow noticed a rapid growth in the population of West Jackson. The property for the church was purchased. Fr. Peter DeBoer was appointed as the first pastor of Christ the King Parish. The Bishop and the Pastor started collecting funds to build the church.
On May 16, 1946, the planning began for the new church. A school building was also in the works. Fr. DeBoer negotiated with the School Sisters of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to help staff the school when it was built.
On October 26, 1947, Bishop Gerow dedicated the church to Christ the King amid a large and enthusiastic crowd comprised of visiting clergy, parishioners and friends.